Tuesday 2 June 2009

Beautiful this time of the Year

In about 2002, my BFF and I were driving from our university town back to Ottawa along that lovely stretch of road known as the 401. Okay... you caught me. It's actually not that pretty. That's what makes this all the more amusing. 
So we are driving along and there's a lull in the conversation. I'm not sure if the line was just something I blurted out or if my BFF asked where we were and I saw the sign for Oddessa, Ontario. Either way, I see it and say:
"Oddessa. ... I hear it's BEAUTIFUL this time of the year."

Okay. So perhaps we were loaded up on 7-11 slushies and hotlips at the time (necessary fuel for a 5 hour drive!), or maybe we were just in a good mood, but it was the funniest thing. And after that every time we took that trip and saw the sign for Oddessa one of us would have to comment on just how beautiful the place is. 

And so, when I saw the pattern for a hat called Oddessa, I knew that I had to make it for that BFF. (That's me in the hat...)
Um... does it matter that it's 2 months late for her birthday? I hope not. BFF? Am I forgiven?

About the pattern: Well. I love the outcome. I love the top. I love how it swirls. 
I think I would love it even more if I'd added the beads to it. 

But... I hate to say it. I hated the pattern. 
Don't get me wrong! It's a pretty hat. And the pattern is really well written. I just didn't like making it. It was just complicated enough for me that it required a tiny bit of attention, but not complicated enough that it required a lot. So, it wasn't mindless knitting but it also wasn't challengingly hard. (wow. Hard to please, aren't I?) But I think that's why it took me so long to finish it. 

No comments: